Thursday, June 23, 2005

Trouble with Yeshivot

Mississippi Fred mentions people feeling their yeshivot failed them. Yael Unterman interviewed a range of people like that for an article she published a couple of years ago.

I've been itching to write something about Har Etzion since I saw this transcript of a talk R Aharon Lichtenstein gave in the beit midrash there last month. (Don't worry - even if you think that retreat is a horrible mistake, there's nothing in this speech that will bother you in the least.) But having seen the passion of those who see this yeshiva as the embodiment of all evil, I think I will bite my tongue.

Nevertheless, I think that there are certain inherently complicated aspects to a significant yeshiva experience. I tried to touch on some of them in a story I wrote long ago. Others come up in Mordechai Breuer's book Oholei Torah: The Yeshiva, Its Structure and History (try pp. 378-383 on tensions between students and teachers and pp. 431-441 on wandering yeshiva students).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home